This issue has been there in my head, prominently for the last year at least. But I never did talk about it with anyone till the FIFA WC ’10. Fortunately for me, the one I talked with had exactly the opposite views. So, I had a good argument in hand and even better was the fact that he was pretty passionate and firm about his beliefs. Sorry I won’t name the other guy because I don’t want to give anyone publicity for free.
So, the topic for this blog of mine is to put forth my opinions about whether or not god exists. To just give the readers a background, it all started when Germany won so many matches and reached the semi s of the WC and then lost to Spain, but later won against Uruguay which was arguably the best match of the WC.
My friend never watched much football before, but after watching Germany in their 1st match, he followed each and every match fervently. It was fun for me because I got to make fun of him before the match; however, he got to make fun of me after, unfortunately. But the thing he was proud of and that he kept saying was that the German wins were perfect example of existence of god. He said that it is the will of god that a bunch of youngsters are achieving something so spectacular. His belief in god was so strong that even when Germany lost, he wasn’t too sad. All he said was that it’s god’s will. What can anyone do if it’s against His will? Nothing. It was a bit frustrating for me because I couldn’t tease him. His beliefs became stronger than ever when Forlan missed the last minute free kick. I still remember how proud he was. I could feel his emotions even through the chat. He was so happy. He for the 1st time in about 9 yrs I saw that guy become so aggressive and stand up for his beliefs so passionately. The beliefs were same as millions share around the world.
God exists.
That god likes to enforce his will on all the living things. That however hard you try you cannot change what he has decided for you. That he has already thought everything out for you. What you have to do is just keep working for he will show you the path you need to take. Also, do not argue about what you get, for in the future you’ll understand that it was for your own good. That He understands what’s best for you and you are always too small and immature to understand His grand plans. And be happy with what he gives you, if you are not, it means you are being greedy and many such things. In a nut shell, what we must understand is that He knows everything and we know nothing. He has a story book which has everyone in it with specific roles, which are, therefore, decided by Him, again because He knows the best for everyone. If you ask what about when things, good or bad, happen to people when they don’t deserve it, the answer is simple. It is because he also has the ledger which shows all the good and bad things done in your previous lives. Of course, there is also this saying that you pay for your sins in this life itself. But that’s fine; there are things that we don’t understand, things about His ways of giving justice. And the most importantly, we have to understand that He, God, created us. Logically, this gives him the right to decide everything for us and everything around us.
I don’t disagree with this, if and only if it’s true that God created us.
This is where I disagree. I don’t deny the existence of God. God exists! Within each and every one of us. It’s just that I don’t believe God created us.
According to the hypothesis I am developing, it is us humans who created God.
Let me explain. What is the biggest problem that we humans face? Your biggest challenge isn’t someone else. It’s the ache in your lungs, the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that says ‘can't’. Look at people around you. You know most of them fail, including you because you are afraid to try. It is because you can’t gather the courage to convince yourself to do a thing. All you lack is a simple thing called self-belief which is of course really hard to get. Of course I don’t have to talk about this much because most of us have already thought about it.
So, the point is that if you don’t believe you can do it, u simply can’t. What usually happens in such times is that the person closest to you tries to give you the belief he has in you/pretends to have in you that he/she thinks that you can do it. Sometimes it works. Why? It is because you in turn trust and have faith in that person. You trust him that whatever he says is true. You trust his judgment more than you trust your own judgment. And in most of these trying times, we want someone to be there next to us, to try and tell us that we are strong to withstand the trouble, to give us courage that we can weather a storm.
Think about the characteristics of such a person. 1st, he cares about you. He is sad when you are sad and happy when you are happy. He keeps reminding you constantly that you can do it. You are strong and have all the required potential to it. He eggs forward promising you that he has your back. If you fail, he consoles you saying that failure is the first step to success and that try again. If you do a wrong thing, the same person will tell you that you were wrong and maybe punish you for that. He is there for you, the minute you need him. I see all these things in my parents. Maybe that is the reason why we are taught to consider them as god. But if you see carefully, these are the things that anyone who really cares for you will do for you. And so god is in everyone.
To tell you the truth, I drifted a bit from my original point. It is that, it is the tendency of humans to looks for inspiration from others. It is almost impossible to inspire yourself on your own. If you can do that, then you are in the class of someone like Sachin Tendulkar. So, you can understand how difficult it is. Also, the other tendency of humans is to fear the unknown. This is where, I a few of our brilliant but maybe manipulative ancestors came up with the concept of god. I mean if you look at it this way, it fits. Give the common man an entity which knows everything and controls everything. Who cares about you and knows what is right for you and all the above mentioned characteristics of a caring person. Then make it more than life by saying that it created us and so has to take care of everyone and everything. Thus, explain all the sadness and grief in our life, because for every bad thing, there is a good consequence somewhere. So it holds the reigns in his hands so that there are no mistakes. Finally, tell them that he is always listening and watching. I have to admit that it must have been a stroke of brilliance by also making it an impalpable entity, yet omnipresent.
As for me, I am as strong as any other human. Right now, I too need a source of inspiration outside of me. Most of the times, I too need someone to believe in me. Someone who can tell me the decision I have made is right, someone who’ll always have my back. Someone I fear, so that I won’t do something wrong purposely. However, as mistrusting we humans are, no human can fulfill these conditions. We know the people who care for us. We know all there flaws too. So no human can fit in the role perfectly. Also, there are things that we can’t logically explain, yet, like why Forlan missed the free kick. So, someone I can blame, if something doesn’t work according to what I want. Currently, I am in this limbo, I believe that we created GOD but I also believe that there has to be this perfect being, more than a being a source of energy, from which we need to draw our inspiration.
Please God, help me out of this!
its so easy to believe in god that people just do it.
ReplyDeletewell said !
ReplyDeleteOne of the best article I have read....though didnt get it completly...i will read again....n i think i kno the guy...n if he s the same, i think tht wud be the best friendship day gift ever...
ReplyDelete